Wednesday, October 21, 2020
We are excited to launch the ASKIY Export Residency through the Indigenous Music West program at Manitoba Music, in partnership with Creative BC. ASKIY means “world” in the Plains Cree language and has been shared by Jerry Roasting Maskwacis.
Running November 26-29 2020, ASKIY is a new opportunity for Indigenous artists in Western Canada to spend four days focusing on music business and career development. Participants will have the chance to build relationships with international industry partners from Germany, the US, Australia, Mexico, and Aotearoa (New Zealand), working one-on-one with professional industry and artist mentors, and connect with other Indigenous artists/industry professionals from Canada.
As we embark on the inaugural year for ASKIY, we know that this residency is not business-as-usual. The residency will be held in-person in Winnipeg, MB and Vancouver, BC however, the in-person part of the event may shift to online as health guidelines change. The safety of all involved is our priority and all guidelines from local health authorities will be communicated and strictly followed.
ASKIY Export Residency is open to export-ready First Nation, Metis, and Inuit musicians residing in Western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon & Northwest Territories).
All participants must be 18-years-of-age or older.
For the purposes of this project, First Nation, Metis, and Inuit musicians are defined as follows:
- Singers, singer/songwriters, musicians, and beat makers/music producers who identify as First Nation, Metis, or Inuit.
- Individuals who have performed at least 10 times in the last 12 months (including paid and unpaid performances)
- Individuals who have released one album or EP in the past four years or have plans to release a second album or EP in the next 12 months
An export-ready artist:
- Has one or more team members (manager, publicist, agent, label, or publisher)
- Has regularly toured outside of their own province over the past three years
- Has released professionally-recorded music to streaming platforms (Spotify, Apple Music, etc.) within the last two years, or an upcoming release in the next six months
- Has performed at an industry showcase or notable festival (e.g. BreakOut West, M for Montreal, Halifax Pop Explosion, SXSW, Reeperbahn Festival)
- Has identified target markets with a rationale and export marketing goals
Please note: Manitoba residents must be an active member of Manitoba Music to participate in the program, if selected.
To apply, please fill out the application form below.
Applications will be rejected if incomplete.
Applicants will be adjudicated by a Jury of industry professionals based on:
- Strength of rationale of export marketing plan
- Export readiness
For more info:
Jade Harper, Indigenous Music Export Coordinator
Treaty 1 Territory