DEADLINE: Friday, December 15, 2017
PASSPORT: Music Export Summit provides international trade and export market development training for export-ready Canadian artists, artist managers, and music entrepreneurs. The project will provide participants with market intelligence, business skills, and information to develop export markets and increase international trade. This intensive training program will help artists and managers understand the challenges and opportunities of global music releases.
Submissions will be accepted from export-ready artists and artist managers who are preparing for market development and export activities. Participants will have made initial inroads into international markets or are preparing for their first international showcase festival or tour in the coming 6-18 months. Participants will have taken part in foundational business training through their provincial music industry association, Canada’s Music Incubator, or regional music conferences, and have experience with basic administrative and music marketing tasks.
- Have a current release (released no longer than 24 months prior to the submission date) or an upcoming release in the next 6-12 months
- Be available to attend the events listed below
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be an artist or representative for an artist who is export-ready or working towards export-readiness. This can include experience with regional touring, success with music industry grants, significant radio play or sales on a previous release, award recognition, industry team members.
Participants must be available for to participate in one of the following events. In the case of self managed bands, one member of the group will attend.
- Music Export Summit West - Winnipeg - February 21-25, 2018
- Music Export Summit Indigenous - Winnipeg - February 21-25, 2018
- Music Export Summit East - Halifax - February 28 - March 4, 2018
Selected artists will be invited to participate in the Music Export Summit Masterclass. Full bands and artists represented by artist managers in the program will attend. The masterclass will include live performance, recording, and creation of media assets.
- Export Masterclass - National Music Centre, Calgary - April 8-12, 2018
There is no fee to participate in PASSPORT and costs travel are covered for participants based on economy fares and accommodations and perdiems for event dates only.
Submissions will be evaluated based on:
- Rationale for how this program fits your development plan.
- Export readiness and track record
- Current team
To submit fill out this form at passportmusic.ca
PASSPORT will be produced by Manitoba Music in partnership with Music Nova Scotia, Canada’s Music Incubator, and the National Music Centre with assistance from FACTOR and the Government of Canada through the Canada Music Fund.