Call for Submissions: AMP Camp 2016
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 4PM CST, October 20, 2015
Manitoba Music is now accepting applications for the eight edition of Aboriginal Music Performers (AMP) Camp.
Hosted by Manitoba Music and the Canada Council for the Arts, the week-long residency gives mid-career Aboriginal recording artists an opportunity to develop their business skills and artistic abilities. Running January 31 to February 5, 2016 at Falcon Trails Resort in southern Manitoba, AMP Camp will invite 20 Canadian artists from the pool of applicants to participate.
Past participants - including Canadian Folk Music Award winner Don Amero and CBC’s The 8th Fire composer Cris Derksen -- have gone on to release acclaimed albums, receive multiple music awards and nominations, and make music their full-time job.
Faculty has included many established artists and music industry professionals, including marketing expert Andres Mendoza, critically-acclaimed songwriter Kinnie Starr, world class dobro player Doug Cox, Winnipeg Folk Festival artistic director Chris Frayer, Raven Kanatakta of award-winning act Digging Roots, NCI FM’s David McLeod, Jesse Ohtake of Toronto’s Manifesto Festival, and MDM Recording’s Mike Denney.
Applications for AMP Camp are available at aboriginalmusic.ca or at the Manitoba Music office, 1-376 Donald Street in Winnipeg. The deadline for applications is October 20, 2015.
AMP Camp is an initiative of Manitoba Music's Aboriginal Music Program (AMP), which was launched in 2004 to assist people in the Aboriginal community in Manitoba to develop sustainable careers in music by connecting them with opportunities within Manitoba Music and beyond.
To be eligible to submit, artists must meet the following criteria:
- Be a First Nation, Métis, or Inuit vocalist, singer/songwriter, emcee, musician, or beat maker
- Have performed at least 10 times in the past 12 months (paid and unpaid performances)
- Have released one album for sale in the past four years or have plans to release a second album in the next 12 months
Also be sure to include the following with your completed application form:
- A promotional photograph in JPEG format on a CDR
- A biography in Word format on a CDR
Submissions will be rejected if incomplete.
Submissions will be evaluated based on:
- Strong vocals and/or interesting lyrics if you’re a vocalist, singer/songwriter, or emcee
- Solid musicianship and/or a demand for your services if you’re a musician or beat maker
- The quality of your promotional photograph
- Momentum, demonstrated in your biography and recent accomplishments
Download the AMP Camp 2016 application form
For more information, please contact:
Alan Greyeyes, Aboriginal Music Development Manager